There is no such thing as 'the biggest number in the world'. It is always possible to count higher. Science and economics use very large numbers. Thus we need special names for large numbers.
Here are the names and values of some large numbers.
thousand = 1000
million = 1000 thousand = 1000 000
billion = 1000 million = 1000 000 000
trillion = 1000 billion = 1000 000 000 000
How big is a million?
The following examples may give you some idea of the size of a million.
1. A 1cm by 1cm square of 1rnm graph paper contains 100 small 1mm x 1mm squares.
A 1m by 1m square of the same graph paper contains 1 million of these small squares.
2. A cubic metre measures 100cm by 100 cm by 100cm.
Volume of cubic metre
= 100cm x 100cm x 100cm
= 1000000 cm³
Thus 1 million cubic centimetres, cm³, will exactly fill a 1 cubic metre box.
To test your knowledge in this module, schedule in a weekend test to enjoy:
- Assessment tests covering all topics covered
- Detailed solutions and insights
- Timed self-paced exercises testing your knowledge
- Progress reports and analysis